Finding solutions to customers’ rising demands is of the highest importance to the paper sack industry. “With our manifold activities and innovative spirit, we create a solid basis to be successful in the present and the future,” says EUROSAC President Luis Elorriaga.
First steps to implement the ten-year road map
The ten-year road map was introduced in 2015. Its objectives were reaffirmed in Marseille. They include innovations of the physical properties and performance of paper sacks to meet the growing customer needs. Furthermore, they address the target groups’ increasing interest in sustainable solutions. To achieve these objectives, the industry implemented initial steps such as investigations into technical solutions, research activities and studies on customer needs as well as a comprehensive communication programme.
Annual EUROSAC Grand Prix Award
During the annual EUROSAC Congress, the federation also acknowledges the innovative efforts of its members by presenting the EUROSAC Grand Prix Award. Their five entries showcase the creativity with which the industry develops revolutionary sack solutions and marketing approaches.
1) Gascogne Sacs presented its Hybris® range, which combines the advantages of two materials: it complements the traditional paper sack with a plastic appearance on the outside. Thus, it improves the printing opportunities as well as the mechanical and conservation performances, while maintaining the filling performance. The Hybris® range exists in all sizes and features valve, open-mouth, pinch-bottom or SOS sacks.
2) The iFoodbag® by Mondi Industrial Bags is made from a revolutionary paper-based composite material which is able to maintain the temperature of chilled and frozen goods for up to 24 hours. This opens up opportunities for expanded e-commerce and online grocery shopping. Moreover, the packaging volume of the iFoodbag® has logistics advantages and a positive environmental impact. The iFoodbag® is produced in an exclusive agreement by Mondi Industrial Bags for the patent owner and distributor ifoodbag AB.
3) The second entry by Mondi Industrial Bags is the Protector Bag. It is able to protect bulky goods during transport in an efficient, environmentally friendly and cost-effective way. Several layers of paper, a protecting inner tissue and an anti-corrosion coating protect the bag and its contents from damage, dirt and other influences. The packaging volume can be reduced by up to 67%, which constitutes a significant environmental benefit.
4) With its QuickFill Clean concept, BillerudKorsnäs introduced a two-ply high-grammage dust-free cement sack with an innovative service: the company has developed equipment and methods to measure and quantify the amount of dust and cement waste resulting from the use of low-quality sacks. This data is translated by a model into convincing figures concerning lost revenue, impact on worker health, carbon footprint and actual tonnes of cement lost. This is used to convince brand owners to invest in dust-free paper sacks.
5) Self-dy by dy-pack is a pasted paper valve bag with a dustproof, self-closing internal valve: a plastic lip in the valve area secures the closing of the valve after filling to prevent the bag from leaking. With this invention, the innovators at the German company have redefined the valve sack which was developed in the early 20th century by finally making it dust- and siftproof.
This year’s EUROSAC Grand Prix Award once again went to dy-pack for the Self-dy sack. The jury honoured the sack as an excellent product innovation which opens up great opportunities on the market.
From left to right: The entrants Claudio Fedalto (Mondi Industrial Bags), Mark van der Merwe (BillerudKorsnäs) and Olivier Tassel (Gascogne Sacs) with the winner Wilhelm Dyckerhoff (dy-pack) and EUROSAC President Luis Elorriaga.
The innovations entered from left to right: The QuickFill Clean concept by BillerudKorsnäs, Self-dy by dy-pack, Hybris® by Gascogne Sacs and the iFoodbag® and the Protector Bag (in the background) by Mondi Industrial Bags
The award-winning sack of the EUROSAC Grand Prix Award 2016: Self-dy by dy-pack with a dustproof self-closing internal valve